Child support for same-sex couples in Dallas is applicable only when a parent is related biologically to the child or has adopted the child because Texas does not recognize same-sex unions.

Are you part of a same-sex couple in Dallas that is separating? Are you wondering, “How does child support work for same-sex couples?” These cases can actually be quite complicated.

Texas Laws and Same-Sex Couples

Texas does not recognize same-sex marriages or civil unions. This complicates legal matters when a same-sex couple is splitting up and has a child together.

In the absence of legal rights to a child, one of the same-sex parents may have difficulty exercising any custody rights or may have no legal obligation to a child. However, there are scenarios where both same-sex parents have legal rights and obligations to a child.

Biological and Adoptive Same-sex Parents

In some cases, one parent is the biological parent of the child, either through a previous relationship or through assistive reproductive technology. In such cases, the other partner may adopt the child. In this case, while only one parent is the biological parent of the child, both may be legal parents and have rights and obligations to the child.

In the event of divorce, each may have some rights to custody, visitation, and child support, although it’s important to discuss such matters with a lawyer because they can still be quite complicated.

In cases where a same-sex parent has not adopted the child and is not the biological parent of the child, a Dallas court may not require him or her to make child support payments. But the parent may also not have rights to custody or visitation.

How can same-sex parents protect their rights when separating?

If you are currently in a same-sex relationship and have a child with your partner, you may benefit from entering into a domestic relationship agreement or cohabitation agreement with the help of a family lawyer. The domestic relationship agreement will outline all of your rights, allowing you to enjoy rights like a heterosexual married couple.

You can also sign a cohabitation agreement that also defines all of your rights and obligations related to the division of assets, and other matters. Most cohabitation agreements will not deal with matters related to children, but for more information about what kind of agreement would suit you best, discuss your case with a family lawyer.

Call Julie Johnson Law in Dallas for Family Law Help

Discuss your case with family lawyer Julie Johnson if you’re in the Dallas area. Call 214-265-7630 or use our contact page to set up your consultation.